Wednesday, August 17, 2011

mixing metals

My older sister is getting married in less than two weeks (eek!) and my little sister and I are her maids-of-honor. Unlike most brides, my sister didn't care what type of dress we were wearing, as long as it was cornflower blue and modest. This was extremely lucky, because it means I got to pick out our dress, and not get stuck wearing some hideous dress straight out of 27 Dresses. She has been even more lax about shoes and accessories, and let each girl in her bridal party pick her own. I fell in love with Christian Louboutin's, but not being able to afford the $1,750 price tag, I made my own (post on these to come soon- promise it will be worth the wait!)

Shoes were easily taken care of, but the accessories are giving me some trouble. I bought a two strand crystal belt off of eBay ($10) but I am not sure about jewelry. Between my belt and shoes, I am wearing over 2,000 crystals, and I do not want to be Pippa Middleton and take away from my sister's special day (I would, however, LOVE to be Pippa on any other day). My mother suggested letting me borrow her diamond and gold pendant, which I immediately vetoed because I can't mix silver and gold, it just wouldn't look right.

But then I started thinking about it. Is it ok to mix metals? Every designer has at least one item in their line that has gold and silver mixed, and they are gorgeous. But is it acceptable to wear gold jewelry with silver shoes? Or a silver necklace with gold earrings? I guess it depends on your personal style, I definitely wouldn't do it. But that doesn't mean I won't be picking up some new mixed metal pieces....as soon as I get paid.
mixed metals




No comments:

Post a Comment